Sunday, June 24, 2007

The thing about new books...

that makes me want to buy them...what is it? I love book stores. I love the smell of new books. I have seldom returned from a book store without buying a book. The sad truth, however, is that most times I end up NOT reading them or only half reading them. The only explanation I have for this is that i'll buy the books now when I have the money but no time to read them so that I can read them later when i have the time but no money!

I wonder how many people read all the books they buy.


Some of the reasons why people buy books

- they buy books for "intellectual credibility" of the Bookshelf" and have no intention of actually reading them

- far too often people are buying books because they think they will be good for them, rather than because they think they'll enjoy them

- there are certain books that everyone buys because the whole world has read them

- half of the top 10 non-fiction books people buy but don't read are autobiographies

So, what are your reasons for buying a book?

7 comments:

Rajesh said...

Found myself nodding my head in agreement as I read the post. I have been guilty of most of the 'reasons', notable exception being #3.

Nostalgia works a lot for me. More often than not, books that I've read in my school/college days are the ones I like to go back to today, and with relish. Those days were good. Reading was fun and one had all the time to read!

Bought R.K.Narayan's 'Swamy and Friends' from Crossword sometime ago and read it back to back. Loved it...all over again.

Spar said...

Hear hear! I'm guilty of the second charge. I often buy books to 'enrich my soul' but end up either not reading them or not completing them.

But I'm happy to say I haven't and never will be tempted to pick up a Harry Potter.

Drunken Master said...

I buy books when I think I'll be reading them more than once, but there are exceptions. I bought Dan Brown's Deception Point last Sunday because I was told that I'd have to spend 14 hours at Charlotte-Douglas Airport (which thankfully didn't happen).

I found The Da Vinci Code lame, and since I've read ~150 pages of Deception Point, I can say it's pretty sad as well, but it was either that or a couple of sappy ones I didn't want to waste money on.

Last book I bought? Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire, an excellent account of Spartan life culminating with an amazing take on the Battle of Thermopylae.

Now how many people do you think have heard of that one?

Spar said...

I'm not one of that list, unfortunately!

Seema Shetty said...

me neither! btw, i was shaking my brain trying to figure where i'd heard of drunken master until i realized it was on spartale!

Unknown said...

I personally buy books to build a library, for myself and for my future generations.. :) I also agree with your have money today reason..

I think it was robin sharma who said that one should always buy books even if they can't read them.. it helps build a library for the future :)

Whatever it is, I usually buy at least one book per week ;)

Btw I'm here through Li..

Seema Shetty said...

hmmm...so YOU are Hemanshu. Hiya! You are building a library for your future generations..hahaha:D That actually makes me think - will our future generations read books?